Thursday, March 3, 2011

5 Habits of Succesful Gym Go-ers

  Fact is, all gym go-ers are not alike.  There are reasons why some people reach (and surpass) their goals, while others don't.  Sure, I could ramble on and on about what exercises you should be doing, how many reps and sets, what recovery drink you should consume after your workout, how much cardio you should be doing, and so on.  Instead I have listed 5 of the most important habits, in my opinion, succesful gym members should posses if you hope to better your body and your overall health.

So here we go!

Habit # 1:  A well written exercise program/routine.

   What happens when you go to the grocery store without a list?  You end up buying a lot of crap you don't need right?  I'm sure the family sized tub of Haagen Dazs really was a steal.


   People that go to the gym without planning what exercises they are going to do that day are wasting their time.  You can normally spot these people huddled around a television set, circling around the gym floor, or doing 18 sets of bicep curls.  To be able to improve your body, you MUST have a routine that addresses your goals and weaknesses.  You should also be carrying this program around with you and writing down the weights you used, how many reps and sets you completed, and how much rest you had inbetween each completed set.  The really good exerciser will not only keep track of these numbers, but will try and improve these numbers each time they workout. 

Habit # 2:  No Ego!

   So what if that guy at the squat rack is deadlifting 305lbs; or that woman has been running on the treadmill for the past half hour at a speed of 11mph at a 4% incline.  What others are doing do not effect how your training session will go.  You have your own goals and your own limitations to worry about.  There's no need to feel intimidated or feel like others are watching you with a high resolution magnifiying glass.  When I work out I'm on a mission, and I have no time to worry about anything or anybody but myself.

Habit #3:  In it for the Long Haul!

  Training to improve your body and health should be a lifelong commitment.  Rome wasn't built in a day.  Some days you have it and some days you don't.  The best thing to think about after one of those less than average trainning days is that the next training day is right around the corner.  Hang your hat on the fact that you always have another chance at improving.  Those who get discouraged and quit never realize the fact that keeping a healthy lifestyle is a LIFE LONG choice, not just a repetitive New Year's resolution.

Habit #4:  Lift Heavy Things

  The overload principle states that a greater than normal stress or load on the body is required for training adaptation to take place. So if you're twirling around a little pink dumbell and barely breaking a sweat, you're not doing yourself any good.  You must challenge your body in way that forces it to adapt.  So if you're lifting weights, make sure they are heavy enough to challenge you!  You may not be able to complete the last 2 reps on your final set but that's the point.  Keep trying until you can finish that final set, then pick up some heavier weights.




Habit #5:  Listen to Your Body

   The great ones always have this in mind.  As you improve your body, you will become more aware of what you're capable of and what your not.  You aren't in high school anymore, so why are you still trying to perform your high school football lifting regimine?  If your lower back hurts, why are you trying to do back squats?  The phrase "No pain, No gain" should not be your mantra.  If your back hurts, try dumbell lunges instead of your usual back squat.  If your shoulder hurts, don't try and power through some shoulder presses.  Maybe take some time on mobility and flexibility instead.  You're not going to lose ground if you can't complete your program exactly they way it's written everyday.  You should be prepared with alternative exercises or ideas to get you through these roadblocks.

And there you have it!  Let me know what you think of these habits, or if you have any that you think I missed.  But I want to challenege you to honestly ask yourself how many of these qualities you actually possess; and when do you think your going to start to try and develop these habit?

2 comments:

  1. I feel lost at the gym without a plan, so I always make sure I have a specific goal or program I am going to follow. The hardest one for me is dealing with ego. Not because I am looking at other people, but because I compare what I can do today to all the days before it. Its good to remind myself that each time I am at the gym, I am a new person and cannot compare myself to my high school self.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt, These 5 points are perfect for me replay over and over again in my mind.....especially the long haul point. All great points. I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete