Monday, January 31, 2011

Getting the Work In. Everyday.

     Good Morning!  I apologize for the tardiness of this post as the recent snowstorm prevent me from finding some time to write.  However, the snow has become my inspiration for this post, so it all works out in the end.

    I woke up last Thursday morning to find my car in cased in a little over a foot of snow on each side.  After an hour of shoveling heavy wet snow, I was still stuck due to the sheet of ice that was resting underneath my tires.  After dragging out a 50 pound bag of salt from the basement to carefully pour over the ice, I had my girlfriend take the wheel as I pushed from the bumper to finally free my car of its winter prison.  After all that I thought to myself, "Man that was a pretty good workout!"


   And it really was!  And it just goes to show that even if you literally and physically can't get to the gym, there are so many opportunities to make a workout out of your daily chores.  Just got back from the grocery store?  Well why don't you take one of the heaviest bags and carry it up and down the stairs about four or five times without stopping.  Or maybe you take that 5 gallon tub of ice cream you just bought on sale from BJ's and do 30 squats while holding it at your side like a briefcase.  With any luck, the ice cream might have melted by the time you catch your breath.




  The point is that there is always time to get in the WORK!  When we were young, snow days meant a free day to do whatever we wanted.  But the consequence of these "free days" never sunk in until we were still sitting in class a week before the 4th of July.  If you have weight loss goals, strength goals, or any other fitness related goals, days off can be a virus.  If you're O.K. with taking today off just because there's a little bit of snow on the ground, what's stopping you from taking tomorrow off because it's still just too cold outside?

   Don't let yourself off the hook!  A wasted day puts you one day behind your ultimate goal, and those days will add up.  Keep yourself honest and put in the work no matter what!

2 comments:

  1. Roads covered and you still need eggs? Strap on some boots and walk to your closet food store. Thats what I did and by the time I got home, I felt like I have done an hour of cardio!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice. Another seamingly innocent way to burn calories is to walk the dogs twice a day.

    ReplyDelete